Feeds RSS
Feeds RSS
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, May 20, 2011

Suppressing Lactation

Before you read on, I would like to clarify first that this write up is not about encouraging you to stop breastfeeding , I just would like to share to all about part of my breastfeeding journey.

If you have been following my blog lately, I had a severe engorgement on my left breast few days ago. Its been engorged, relieved... engorged again.. relieved again, engorged engorged and engorged.. at the end, I'm not able to pump it out nor feed by baby. I had been very moody and kinda of depressed over this breast pain .. it been affected my work and time with my family. I'd been spending most of the time worrying my engorgement and steal time to pump milk but all at no vail. I can see that my hubby is also very worry about my condition too.

In such, i finally decided to end the lactation process. It takes lots of courage to decide to stop it. But thinking back again, I successfully breastfed Yijing exclusively for 6 + months. To me, that's a great achievement already! Plus she is now taking solid food, and loving formula milk, which means she is taking enough nutrients daily. ^_^

So, yesterday hubby brought me to see gynae. Had a chat with doctor and he actually proud of me to be able to feed exclusively for 6 months. He advised that if engorgement and discomfort affecting my life and work, then it is advisable to suppress it. He prescribed me DOSTINEX (Carbergoline) from Italy ... in that small bottle only have 2 tablets.. and it is just for 2 days consumption. 2 days stop the lactation completely! So FAST?! Kam geng? Can't believe hor ? It took me 2 weeks to build up good milk supply and just 2 days can make it stop completely? According to my doctor, this drug actually stop our body to produce hormones that cause the brain to send signal to breast to produce milk. This drug is safer and more effective compared to Bromocriptine (used many many years ago.. i think even my mum used it last time) which has lots of side effect and in some cases causing death! If you see the price tag on the box.. it is so shocking expensive for just 2 tablets. I really hope it will solve my problem and worth every penny from my purse!



Will blog again on the result ... stay tune!

1 comments:

Yannie said...

Interesting, please keep us updated.